Who We Are
Fractl is a creative marketing agency that fuses data journalism and information design to explore universal human interests in original and daring ways.
Our projects showcase illuminating findings through beautiful visualisations and intelligent storytelling, reaching audiences of millions through a strategic understanding of digital PR that we’ve honed over the past four years.
Fractl has gone from strength-to-strength since it was founded in 2012, with more than 60 full-time team members currently at its head office in Florida. You will be joining the company’s first international branch in Leeds as part of a small but highly specialised team which is poised to extend Fractl’s success on this side of the pond.
We’re looking for an Information Designer who can turn numbers into visuals and transform a potentially boring bar chart into an artful spiral plot (or whatever will tell the story in the clearest and most engaging way). Gorgeous maps and precise charts won’t be the only tools at your disposal. You’ll be free to use illustration, typography and all other visualisation skills in your arsenal to breathe life into our work and make interpreting our findings effortless and pleasurable for everyday audiences. While collaboration with an analyst and data journalist will be an integral part of the role, you’ll have a huge amount of freedom in the entire creative process, from coming up with original ideas, to planning and executing their production.
The perfect candidate for this role will have an affinity with smart data exploration/visualisation like Information is Beautiful, FiveThirtyEight, and Freakonomics.
Ideally we are looking for a strong junior or middleweight designer with some data visualisation, infographic, mapping experience and a keen interest in all things data- however, if you have a strong portfolio of clean, focused designs and the enthusiasm to move into an area possibly outside of your comfort zone, we want to hear from you!
As a Fractl designer, there's potential for hundreds of thousands (likely millions) of people to see your designs, with work featuring in major online publications (e.g. Vice, New Statesman, Huffington Post, the Guardian). In this role, you'll get creative and work-life freedom - your input and ideas will be welcomed and will play a major part in the growth of Fractl in the UK.
Required Skills and Experience
- Absolute fluency in Adobe Creative Suite, especially Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- A good knowledge of data visualisation and a solid understanding of the most appropriate situations to use each type. Most shown here should be within your grasp: datavizcatalogue.com.
- An ability to transform numbers into visuals that tell a clear and interesting story. Your data-to-ink ratio should be high.
- Strong attention to detail and a stickler for accuracy.
- Excellent typography and composition skills.
- A portfolio that demonstrates your experience in data visualisation and an understanding of how stories should be told through design.
- Good time and project management skills. We use Asana to manage our workflow.
Competitive and flexible depending on experience.
● New 27" iMac
● Flexible working hours
● City centre office
● Pension contribution
● Relaxed atmosphere
● Opportunity and time to add more data viz strings to your bow
● A chance to shape the future of Fractl in the UK by being among its founding members
You’ll be working in The Round Foundry Media Centre, a contemporary space specifically for creative and digital people. Located in Leeds City Centre, surrounded by a range of independent shops, cafes, restaurants and bars and just eight minutes’ walk from Leeds train station.